Keeping your staff happy and engaged is often about more than just financial rewards. Providing the right environment where your staff feel comfortable, rewarded, worthy, and have the opportunity to develop their skills is just as important. Here are some tips to make sure your staff are happy:
• Do you offer a welcoming environment that you yourself would be appreciative of?
• Do you lead by example on what you see as a positive work environment?
• Are ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ part of the office DNA?
• A smile goes a long way for your customers and is just as important for your staff.
• Do your staff understand the bigger picture for your business?
• Are they tasked with their piece to achieve your business goals?
• Do you provide feedback to them on a regular basis?
• When staff achieve their goals, what is their reward? Be creative!
• Are individual achievements shared with the wider team?
• Random acts of kindness go a long way.
• Is there a formal training plan in place for all staff members?
• Are they monitored and supported to encourage the development of their skills?
Above and beyond, the key to happy and engaged staff is to communicate well and often, act fairly with respect, and make work fun.
When next you need to employ a new staff member, it’s worth considering employing people who are engaging, who reflect the culture you’ve built for your business, and have the right attitude to give your customers the very best customer experience. Having the right staff will help convert enquiry to income, provide a positive customer experience, and ensure that your business goes from strength to strength.
Words by Nicola Strudwick, General Manager Sales